Friday, April 4, 2014

USA on a positive path to Brazil

One of the things I have noticed over the years, is that you can have 10 people watch one soccer game, and get 10 different opinions on what they saw.  It's one of the main reasons I think it is impossible to stop learning about the game of soccer, and also the reason there are so many debates about it.  

Some people see tactics, some passion and athleticism, and some might focus on strong offense which another would just see as poor defense.  Recently I observed a session of youth players with a colleague, and after 1.5hrs of drills and a short scrimmage, I was drawn to watching the weaker players, while she only saw the star.  It was a powerful moment for me because I could so clearly see how different every coach can be from one another.  Every coach, parent or player has a different vision of the game. 

In my opinion the US National team coach Jürgen Klinsmann, has made many great decisions with the rotation of national team pool players over the past several months.  He has shaken up the system, brought in youth with the balance of experience.  He has allowed all of our powerhouse GK's a chance at real international competition to ensure that they will be ready when needed. He has given players a fair shot at making the final roster, and in some cases more chances than they might have deserved. 

In the recent game against Mexico, the result can be seen as disappointing based on a strictly fan perspective, but can also be seen as a tremendous learning experience.  The ability to make 6 substitutions due to the "friendly" nature of the game, allowed for several players to showcase why they should or should not head to Brazil this summer.  I look forward to seeing Klinsmann make his final cuts, I just hope him and I are on the same page unlike his former assistant.  

GO USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment