Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Predictions and Opinions- How Media Presents the World Cup

I understand that each member of the soccer media, or any sport for that matter, has an opinion.  I understand that some members of the media actually have a "TV personality", and sometimes it is their job to fire up the viewers.  But as it turns out, I don't like to be negatively fired up about my National Team. 

Such was the situation when Alexi Lalas told the US National team (to their face) that they "won't get out of the group"...following it up with "prove me wrong".  Since 1994, my feelings for Lalas went from big fan to respectfully disagree to currently dislike.  I, along with many others, would love nothing more than to prove Lalas wrong.  I secretly hope this is his strange way of firing up the team, and also that this is just his TV personality.  I have USA and Germany leaving the group stage : )  

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!

American Outlaws at Red Bull Arena 2014
At the end of the day, members of the press can make all he predictions they want because there is no consequence if they are wrong.  They can easily say, "Argentina did not play they way I thought"...or "Chile should have switched to a 4-4-2", or "Mexico got lucky".  Members of the press are never even criticized for being wrong, after all it really is just a guess.  Which is why I loved to hear Timmy Howard's thoughts on Lalas' prediction "they are just words".  Simple as that.   

The site FiveThirtyEight.com, presents a mathematical prediction for the upcoming World Cup games.  As interesting as the numbers are, to me they are just numbers.  These stats don't include any variables such as: 
1) current player fitness, 
2) weather (they do mention weather but can't predict how even Brazil will handle it since 18 of the 23 players actually live in Europe)
3) food/hydration (South Korea already suffered from food poisoning in Miami this week), 
4) injuries, 
5) use of substitutions, 
6) time zone (sleeping challenges), 
7) travel during the tournament (USA has the longest travel between stadiums in this World Cup), and lastly
8) home field/ feeling of home field advantage (outside of Brazil the most tickets were sold in the USA).

With all these predictions, guesses, betting over/unders, and estimates, there is one thing that stands true.  All over the globe millions of fans are excited for the unpredictable games to begin!  I wish every team the best of luck.  I can't wait to see the many talents and new breakout stars!!  However, going forward my thoughts will all be biased : ) Cheering loud for the Red, White, and Blue!


No comments:

Post a Comment