Wednesday, June 4, 2014

USA vs Turkey- LIVE

It has been awhile since I have seen a soccer game live that I wasn't playing in, or that wasn't played by 9 year old girls.  So, upon arriving to the Red Bull Arena on Sunday afternoon I was beside myself with anticipation! 

American Outlaws
The American Outlaws did not disappoint, singing, dancing, and playing the drums to the delight of the players and fans.  I literally only saw 5 Turkey fans, and their attempt at cheering was short lived based on all the Red, White, and Blue sitting around them. 
 
During the game, I realized more than ever, how much my thoughts of the game can be influenced by the way it is broadcasted.  The way the camera shows the game, the highlights they choose to replay, and the opinions of the actual announcers.  Together they all have a slight way of influencing the fans perception of the game and players.  I am SO glad that I saw this game at the stadium because I am sure I enjoyed it more than if I was on the couch listening to Taylor Twellman mention how Zusi didn't have the same impact he did against Azerbaijan.  However, there was one man who annoyed me at the game.  The man behind me who insisted that every time a US player lost the ball, he should be replaced with Landon Donovan.  Apparently Donovan never lost the ball when he was on the team? 


Overall, the game was a great deal of fun, and it felt wonderful to be around so many passionate fans.  But to be more brief, here is a handful of player insights for the guys that stood out for me, (as usual) for good and for bad.

I have been a doubter in Altidore's abilities, and specifically to score for us this World Cup but by the end of this game I found myself screaming and hoping so badly for him to get one! Just one!  It's as though you can tell, once he gets one, he will get 5.  Whether or not I think he should get the start is far from an issue, so since Klinsmann feels so strongly with him up there, here's hoping that he gets one this weekend vs. Nigeria.

Tim Howard, getting it done!
Tim Howard and Brad Guzan- Both had a good game by making a handful of big saves and benefited from the their friend the goal post.  You can never underestimate the friendship between a GK and the framework : )  

Jones showed A LOT more effort and discipline at the holding midfielder position than I am used to seeing.  And although I was thrilled to see Beckerman enter the game, nothing specifically stood out regarding his play. 

Apparently this is not a foul
Green was very aggressive getting into the box, and I believe that with any other ref, he could have been awarded at least 1 PK.   I look forward to him playing the same "go to goal" style, and predict that he could win some PK's for the team in the future.

I was very happy with Johnson and Chandler in the outside back positions.  Johnson had a WICKED goal...amazing assist from Bradley but just an OUTSTANDING shot by Johnson.  The two of them played the flank defender to perfection, making moves forward and tracking back.  The handball was unfortunate but at least he was back defending where he was supposed to. 
Altidore vs. Turkey
 
General weaknesses were with both offensive and defensive corner kicks.  Difficult to score a goal with one forward in the 6 yard box, and 4 running in.  Turkey defended all free kicks with 9-10 players, and you better believe that in the World Cup every team will be doing the same.  One goal can be the difference between getting out of the group stage and going back home...





I find myself so excited and nervous for this World Cup, you would think that I am actually playing in it.  Too bad Alexi Lalas doesn't feel the same way.  He continues to be the antagonist with the prediction that the USA won't get out of the group.  Why so bitter Alexi? You did you part in the 90's, time to move on and pass the torch to this group.  

Let's go USA!






No comments:

Post a Comment