Friday, May 9, 2014

Competitive can be Fun!

Jillian- "Coach Casey, does the "F" on your sweatshirt stand for fun?
Me- "Yes, Jillian.  Yes, it does!"

Despite the fact that the "F Soccer" logo on my shirt represented my alma mater, I realized that fun was a better representation of what I was trying to accomplish while teaching the game I love.  Over the past couple months I have spent hours trying to make the perfect practice plans for my U-9 team.  I agonize over several drills and small sided games that could help teach this game to 15 young minds each week...but what I have discovered is that they learn nothing if they get bored, they learn nothing if the game is too complex, and most of the time the girls have found the competitive nature of the game the fun part!

My girls favorite warm up has been playing sharks and minnows (typically played in a pool) across the width of the field.  Between rounds I lead them through a series of stretches and try to throw in some information on the muscles they are using.  After a few rounds of just running, I like to add in the ball and make them keep possession while running through the "sharks".  Although most of them prefer to play this game without the ball (something I am trying to work on haha), they run with smiles, giggles, and enthusiasm trying not to lose the ball.  I think I enjoy watching them play almost as much as they like playing.  Each round there is a winner, and they are proud to be the last "minnow".

Kosmos (in blue) getting ready to win a throw in

Despite leagues all over the country trying to remove the competitive nature of the game by not keeping score, or giving everyone a medal for participating...I have discovered that the girls give more effort and focus if I make the drills competitive.  Not necessarily against another group but against themselves.  For example, I give them 30 seconds to see how many passes they can complete with their partner, then time them again and have them try to get a better score.  They literally jump for joy when they get better scores, and love to share with their teammates what they got.  In these situations they can actually see themselves getting better and what is a better feeling that that?!?   

The other day I played Steal the Bacon with my girls, and I myself was not keeping score, I was just focused on calling the numbers making sure everyone got a chance. And BOOM, few rounds in the girls start announcing the score before each round "Oh my god we have to score its 4-3, I hope she calls my number!"  When I finally announce that the game is over the winning team jumps on each other like they just won the league title, often with the losing team joining in just to sing along! (and yes these girls have a lot of songs they love to sing!) 

As I continue to labor over new and fun drills to play with my girls at each practice to keep it "fun" I now realize that it is okay to also make it competitive.  The girls on this team get pumped for each other when they succeed and I hope that support continues for them as they continue grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment