Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Thoughts on the USA's First Send of Game

USA vs Azerbaijan 
The starting line- up:
Howard
Johnson- Cameron-Besler-Beasley
Bedoya-Jones-Bradley-Zusi
Altidore-Wondolowski

      That line-up sounds impressive, but the team looked even better once the subs entered the game!  Just a recap of some of the players that stood out to me, for good and for bad.

      Wondolowski got the last minute start in the game due to Captain Clint Dempsey feeling a strain in his groin during warm-ups.  Wondo did not disappoint in the first half by having all of the USA's chances on goal.  It easily could have been 2-0 if the ball dropped a few inches left or right on his attempts, but no such luck.

      Jozy Altidore played the roll of target forward, often coming back to receive the ball at his feet to lay it off and turn and go forward.  He was able to hold his own physically, but his lack of a quality first touch and poor off the ball decision making left his playing much to be desired.  Klinsmann has often spoke that Jozy is a key component to the success of the team and has asked the fans to have continued patience but I am done with that!  90 mins at forward and zero shots on goal...not a great combination.  Time is up, World Cup in 2 weeks, we need to move on. 

      I was disappointed that Jermaine Jones played a full 90mins, and when I say he played, I really just mean he was on the field.  I am not sure what he accomplished other than kicking the ball out of bounds and to the other team.  I wish I kept official stats on his ability to keep possession of the ball but I am pretty sure he completed roughly 3 passes.  Bradley therefore had less of an impact of the offense because he had to do double duty with Jones behind him.  Beckerman, on the other hand is efficient and smart, and allows freedom for Bradley to go forward.  Every soccer analyst who watched the last USA vs Mexico game saw it clear as day!    PLEASE WAKE UP KLINSMANN!  I mean if he can't see it, one of his 4 assistants sure as hell should see it and speak up!  Playing with Jones, is like playing with 10 men, and with Jones and Altidore....Ugh, don't get me started.

      Bedoya had the start which was actually the biggest surprise to me, I had Mix with the start. In the end Mix provided great spark off the bench and had the game winner!  Even with the energy from Mix, I did like the effort and play from Bedoya to start, in my opinion though, he is just lacking the crazy passion that Mix plays with.

      Howard was not super busy but he did have to make a couple big saves, and of course he made them look easy.  I was actually happy that Azerbaijan had as many corners as they did just for the USA to practice, some of them were defended poorly and we won't get away with that against Group G.


      Overall, I thought the back 4 did a good job, and loved how Johnson got forward into the attack, that is the perfect way to utilize the outside players in a 4 back.  With all of the debate surrounding our back 4 they did not disappoint me.  Gonzalez and Chandler came in and were okay, nothing they did pushed them beyond the starting 4 in my book.  Yedlin is quickly becoming my new favorite player :) and I would love to see him man mark Ronaldo in game two, he is SO damn quick and youthful that running for 90mins is no big deal for him haha!!   

      Last but not least, Johannsson subbed in up in the second half and he didn't waste any time showing Klinsmann that he can be of use in Brazil.  His technically perfect header off a corner late in the second half sealed the deal for the US victory.  

      Can't wait for USA vs. Turkey 2:00pm Sunday June 1!  I will be there screaming my heart out, and hope to see an amazing game.

No comments:

Post a Comment