Friday, May 23, 2014

The Final 23...Road to Brazil

Sooooo, Klinsmann and I were not exactly on the same page but we were close.  Yesterday's announcement came as a shock to me for several reasons and I had a very difficult time sleeping last night.  Apparently, I am also a member of the coaching staff deciding what to do with the 23 man roster :)   

1) I was happy that he made the call before the send off games so that the starting team could start to gel as a unit. 

2) For lack of a better word, I thought it was such a crappy way for Donovan's National Team career to come to an end, assuming it is over, because I just heard Klinsmann say that he hopes his career continues after Brazil because a new cycle begins...so apparently he isn't good enough now but he might be later?

3) I wanted Goodson & Donovan on the roster but I have been in agreement with all other dismissals.  

4) All the players cut have handled it WAY better than I would, especially Brad Evans...keeping it classy

 
I realize that I am not in the locker room or training sessions every day, and I realize that I don't come remotely close to the level of experience of Klinsmann, but I find it hard to believe that there are 10 people on the bench who would have more impact than Landon, even as a sub.  I know that there is a concerted effort to improve the development of the US National Team as a whole, and the team needs to think for the future, I just wish they would focus on 2018 after July 13th!

Is Donovan one of the older players? Yes.  Does he compete at the highest level for 12 days in a row? Apparently not.  Could he keep up with Ronaldo on the flank for at least 60 mins during a World Cup? Absolutely!  Even with the disappointment, Donovan has been a great professional about it all and has stated that he is ready to go should they need an alternate.  Here's to you Donovan thanks for being a great player for our country both in the National Team and in the MLS.

Leaving Donavan off the roster is such big news that the other final 6 cuts did not get much attention in the headlines.  However, I don't think the other 6 are actually that much of a shock. There have a been a number of different players that had big moments back in the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifiers but didn't have lstaying power.  And of course the opposite situation with Green, where he has little to no experience but must be killin it in training?! Otherwise Klinsmann will have a lot of explaining to do. Here's hoping that he has some tricks up his sleeve come June!

In the end, this breaking news has brought more attention to the USA National Team than I have seen in a long time, if ever.  So thanks to you again Landon, even non-soccer fans know your name and that is a tremendous gift you have given to this sport in the USA...you are a household name and we appreciate all that you gave to get US Soccer to where it is today!  But I don't want to speak too soon, three send off games, who knows what could happen. 

LET'S GO USA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment